Looking for a fun and simple art project to do with your kiddo look no further! These easy DIY place-mats are a great way to use a child’s artwork, and turn it into functional use. Plus, these placemats are easy to clean. Helpful cost-saving tip: You can find most of the supplies needed for this project below at your local Dollar General for only 1$
Here is what you will need for this project:
- A little artist
- Painting Paper
- Water color or Acrylic paints
- Paint brushes
- Peel and stick laminate paper roll
Easy step-by-step instructions:
- Give your little artist a choice and have them pick out two of their favorite colored paints.
- Start by letting them paint freely with the brushes on painting paper. Helpful tip: Join in & grab a brush! This is a great opportunity to model paint brushes in use. Try painting things that your child has shown interest. Ex: child likes animals or numbers.
- Allow time for paintings to dry for a few hours.
- Once dry, use the peel and stick laminate paper roll to hold the paintings together to make a rectangular place mat.
- Bam! Place-mats are ready to use 🙂
Helpful tips during art activities:
- Figure out what object/toy your child likes from the list of supplies
- Find the smile 🙂
- Seat your-self face to face with your child
- Eliminate distractions
- Follow your child’s lead
- Narrate as you go
- Offer help
This project will help improve:
- Joint attention skills
- Communication skills
- Fine motor skills
- Play skills